The Reference Department of the Melrose Public Library is organized to help you find specific, factual information on any topic you may need. Whether a business address or critical review, the book value of a used car or the author of an obscure opera, the reference collection and staff of this department are available to assist you. Email us with any questions or call 781-665-2313.
Melrose Public Library provides an extensive local history collection.
Resources include: Books on Melrose history
City directories and/or street lists back to 1872/73
Late 19th century atlases
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps on microfilm from 1887-1934
Melrose newspapers on microfilm (not indexed)
Town/city reports from 1851-1979/80
Melrose High School yearbooks back to 1925
A file of clippings, photographs, and miscellanea
Please contact a reference librarian for access to this noncirculating collection. Items on microfilm are available in the Reference Department. Other items are available in the Genealogy/Melrose History Room.
Due to the valuable nature of this collection, the following procedure is to be followed by all users:
- You will be asked to provide identification (driver's license, etc.) before access is provided. This identification will be returned when you are done with your research.
- Staff will have you leave all personal belongings except pencils and notepaper locked at the reference desk.
- There is a small copier in the room for the convenience of users, as no material may be taken from the room.
- A Reference Librarian will accompany patrons who are using the room for the first time.
- Per the Director, it is our policy that any patron using the locked vertical files in the G room will be assisted by the Reference Librarian, who will remain in the room while the vertical files are in use.
Melrose Public Library | 69 West Emerson Street | Melrose, MA 02176
Main Library: 781-665-2313 | Children's Room: 781-665-2314
Melrose is a member of NOBLE (North of Boston Library Exchange)