Melrose Public Library
What is a HotSpot?
A hotspot is a portable device that generates an internet connection anywhere there is cell phone reception. Take it with you on a hike, to the gym, or to a lunch meeting – it’s perfect for business, school work, a vacation, or simply being social.
What do I need to know?
- Who can check out this device? Any patron with a NOBLE library card in good standing may borrow this device.
- How do I check out the device? Stop by the circulation desk and use your library card to check out a hotspot. The library currently owns 11 hotspots. If there are no hotspots available, a hold may be placed and we will notify you when a hotspot becomes available.
- Where will it work? Sprint hotspot coverage map: https://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?. You can only use the hotspot inside the continental United States. There is no international data or roaming.
- Loan Rules:
- Loan period: 2 weeks, no renewals*
- Overdue fee: $5/day, max $50
- Lost/damaged fee: $100 (fee for loss or damage of individual accessories – case $20, charging cable $10, wall charger $10).
* Note: Internet access for overdue hotspots will be deactivated once the due date has past.
- How do I return it? Do not place the hotspot in the book drop. Do not return the hotspot to another library. You must return the device with all the original packaging and accessories at the Melrose Public Library circulation desk. Please fully charge the battery before you return the device. A fee (up to the $100 replacement cost of the item) may be applied if the hotspot is returned in a book drop or to another library.
- How much does it cost to borrow a HotSpot? Borrowing and using the device is free! Data is unlimited. The patron is responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the Mobile HotSpot and/or peripherals. The Mobile HotSpot must be kept in a temperature controlled environment (e.g, don’t leave unattended in a hot vehicle).
NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS: Internet content filtering is NOT provided through the Melrose Public Library Wireless HotSpot. Parents/Guardians are responsible for monitoring what their children access via the Wireless Hotspot.
* * * * * * * * *
To connect your device to the Mobile HotSpot’s Wi-Fi network, follow these steps:
- Turn on the mobile hotspot (the device may need to be charged).
- On your computer or other Wi-Fi enabled device, search for available Wi-Fi Networks** and select the MPL.hotspot (see sticker on back of device for name).
- Enter the Network Password (see sticker on back of device for password).
- You may connect up to 10 Wi-Fi enabled devices.
- Note: It may take up to a minute to establish a connection.
* * * * * * * * *
**Finding a Wi-Fi Signal
- From a Mac computer:
- Select System Preferences > Network > Airport.
- Click Advanced to choose from the list of available networks.
- Choose MPL.hotspot from the list of available networks.
- From an iOS device:
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Choose the MPL.hotspot from the available networks.
- From an Android device:
- Go to Settings > Wi‑Fi settings.
- Choose MPL.hotspot from the available networks.
HotSpots sponsored by the Friends of the Melrose Public Library